Now its 2017, way back when I started my SEO career in 2009 it was quite easy to follow up latest trends and rank well for any particular keyword. But as an SEO expert/ Digital marketer, if you analyse the career path you could understand that a lot has been changed in the SEO Industry. Search Engines has made its algorithms smarter to identify cheap tricks web masters are playing on web sites and at the same time giving value to quality driven content.
Lot of young dynamic professionals are getting attracted towards this industry and are confused by lot of updates happening in between, particularly if you take last 3 to 4 years updations it is enough to confuse a beginner in SEO. I am not here to confuse newbies but I am trying to elaborate some bitter truth others do not want to put in front. The bitter truth is that if you want to become a standalone (one man army) SEO career path you should be a technical geek who can understand how all web related stuff works. Again, I am not pointing out social media managers or a Digital marketer who draws higher perks than an SEO.
But be confident, SEO career is fruitful when you start correct and follow and maintain search engines latest guidelines. As far as I am concerned, and as per my experience SEO career is the most challenging domain in Digital marketing arena. I will start writing a career choice for Digital marketing newbies as soon as I finish this article. I think it is must to avoid confusion.
10 key points to Discuss
1) Better UX/UI to rank well
2) Rich Media snippets(schema.org)
4) Internal Linking and Deep Linking
5) Hosting plans & SSL
6) Relevant & Quality content. Creating engaging content
7) Optimizing web site for Mobile. Mobile Index first
8) Better usage of Google Search console
9) Social Media influence
10) Effective use of WordPress for better SEO
1. Better UX/UI to rank well
What is UX?
The term UX was coined by cognitive scientist Don Norman in the early 1990’s while he was VP of the Advanced Technology Group at Apple.
Here’s how he formally defines it:
“‘User experience’ encompasses all aspects of the end-user’s interaction with the company, its services, and its products.”
A great Website design is the stepping stone for an awesome UX. That is the reason ecommerce giants like Amazon and Ebay are constantly redesigning their sites and cashing on their users. SEO and UX when catered together bring out the best in each other.
UX designers use wireframes, interactions and storytelling techniques to churn out an experience that is user centric. SEO experts use search results as measured from users to report that same experience. SEO has the figures that UX requires. UX has the web design structure that SEO requires. In short, they both go hand-in-hand.
Allows customers to seamlessly achieve their desired outcome.
How to do it?
By conducting user research to get as much context as possible about the user of the product and then using those learning to mockup wireframes and prototypes to help the user get from point A to point B.
User Experience is Critical to SEO
- UX Optimization – Focusing on Visitor
- Search Engines are smart enough to understand a user’s need’s in Web site
- Web sites which do a better job for visitors have a better chance of higher SERP
- No better UX- High Bounce Rate
UX & SEO
- Common goal “to convert end user into a happy customer”.
- A website’s usability doesn’t have any value if it is not searchable by user.
At the same time, good traffic on website means nothing if end-users are not finding it user-friendly.
Bad UX examples
- Large Form Filling
No.of Social Media icons
Best UX Examples
- UX is the overall experience a user has with the product, and UI is the things the user will actually interact with and see
When you’re building a house, you need to think of the broad structure and layout.
Do you need 2 or 3 bedrooms?
- Do those bedrooms each have their own bathroom?
- Is the living room the first thing you walk into after entering the door?
Is it a one-story or two-story home?
• UX is the overall experience of your house (or product). Do things make sense? How does it make your user feel?
• The next level of the user’s journey is the interface they actually interact with. Continuing with the house example, the UI is the visual theme throughout the house. What type of wallpaper will you use? Do you have the same flower vases around the house? Or different ones?
• The UI is, like its name implies, the things the user will actually interact with and see. This includes buttons, forms, pictures, etc.
• UX without UI means you’ve got a frame and structure to your house, but it’s not beautiful and cohesive. UI without UX is like splashing awesome colors and details throughout the house, but having your front door lead straight into a bathroom. You need both to create an awesome end to end experience.
Typically, UX design goes ahead of UI design, because you want to do research, broad sketches, and general workflows first. Then once you’ve got the broad strokes nailed down, you work on the UI design to bring it all together so it feels like a beautiful, well-designed product.”
UX tool- UXPIN
At the most basic level, the user interface (UI) is the series of screens, pages, and visual elements—like buttons and icons— that you use to interact with a device.
User Interface on products
First commercial GUI Desktop
Apple Released Macintosh in 1984 – commercially successful desktop with multiple windows and a point-and-click mouse
Google UI Example
Google UI Example -Google is another good example. Its interface is simple. There’s barely anything to the UI—just a logo, a search bar, a few buttons, and a search results page.
2. Rich Media snippets(schema.org)
1. Structured data is a way for publishers to highlight content on their web pages to help search engines know exactly what certain words relate to, such as product review scores or addresses. Schema.org is a shared markup vocabulary recognized by search engines to help with structured data efforts.
2. By implementing structured data (input form) to your pages, you can help search engines to identify and serve up content that will enable your site to stand out with rich snippets (output form). Structured data defines the types of data on a page and the relationships between them.
3. Google has remained consistent in its stance on structured data and although it is not used as a ranking signal, there are many important SEO gains that can improve your overall search performance. Therefore, structured data shouldn’t be ignored.
What is schema.org?
Schema.org backed by Google, BING, & Yahoo
Schema.org launched in 2011 to try to get Web sites to send more structured data so that they can deliver a better experience for the user.
Schema.org with WordPress Blog
3. AMP(Accelerated Mobile Pages)
Speed is an integral part of designing web pages. Google says 40% of users will abandon any website that takes more than 3 seconds to load.
AMP has essentially overhauled the core elements of how websites structure their mobile pages. It’s broken down into three sections:
AMP HTML: A redesigned version of HTML includes a new set of custom AMP related commands.
AMP CDN (Content Delivery Network): This will take your AMP-optimized content and cache them for fast delivery.
4. Internal Linking & Deep Linking
An internal link connects one page of your website to another page of your website.
Internal linking improves the indexation of your website
Google’s crawler follows link paths throughout the internet to find and index websites
If your website has strong internal linking, the Google crawler has an easier time finding new content that you publish and link to.
Internal Link with Ahref
An internal link is a simple string of HTML that links one website page to another. It looks like this:
an article on Digital Marketing
A hyperlink either on a Web page or in the results of a search engine query to a page on a Web site other than the sites home page.
Customer may have a need to link to a website’s interior pages beyond the home page. Deep linking provides a method for efficiently directing a user to a context specific web page that may be several layers deep in a web site beyond the site’s home page.
If the home page = www.example.com
A deep link that could be used would be = www.example.com/business/support/page.html
Deep Linking Advantage
1. Reduce the number of clicks a user must endure to navigate to a desired resource.
2. saving time and achieving accuracy in delivering the user to the intended resource.
3. Deep linking take visitors directly to a product on a web page and not have them go through multiple pages to find it, especially on a website that has numerous products.
Mobile Deep Linking
In the context of mobile apps, deep linking consists of using a uniform resource identifier (URI) that links to a specific location within a mobile app rather than simply launching the app.
5. Hosting Plans & Authentic SSL
Speed and search engines
Quick, responsive sites are far more likely to scale search rankings than their more sluggish brethren. And really, it makes sense. Low load time is hugely detrimental to user experience.
If your site is slow and unresponsive, Google will apply a bit of a soft penalty; that is, your ranking will be lower than it would be with a fast, responsive host.
Decide What Kind of Host You Need
If you’re running an online business and SEO is important to you, you’re going to boil the list down to three main types.
1. Dedicated host
2. the virtual private server
3. the shared web host.
• Dedicated web hosts are by far the most robust option. An entire physical server location is dedicated to your business, likely one server in a bank of servers in a data center owned and operated by your hosting company.
Server physical location
How Does Hosting Impact SEO
The bottom line with hosting is its ability to deliver pages from your website quickly and to have your website available 24/7/365.
This impacts your SEO because of Google’s overarching view of websites, in the context of high rankings, is that websites must provide a positive experience to the users.
How SSL affects SEO
Recently, Google has taken a strict stance to ensure that it protects the privacy of their consumers. Security, they say, has always been “a top priority” for them.
in order to implement an advanced secure connection for users, in 2014 the search engine giant announced HTTPS as a ranking signal.
SSL & SEO
Just 1.9% of the top 1 million websites redirect users to a default HTTPS/SSL version. Overall, less than .1% of the websites on the internet are secure.
Https as a Ranking signal
Different types of SSL
This SSL type is to secure single hostname, means if you buy it for main domain than it will not secure any subdomains and if you get it for subdomain, it will not secure main domain.
If you want to secure unlimited sub-domains then you should go for this type of SSL.
EV SSL( Extended Validated)
Extended Validation SSL Certificates are a new type of SSL Certificate which is intended to give users more confidence in who you are (the legal entity who has applied for the ssl certificate) and that you control/own your web site.
How to check SSL working ?
To download complete Tutorial click here